This list of proverbs was compiled/written by Harry Harrison and included in Dr. Dobson's book "Bringing up Girls". It takes up a whole chapter of the book, and is aimed toward Dads - of course I was all teary by the end.
But for the sake of time, I'm just sharing my personal favorites:
- Relish the moments when she toddles up and for no reason at all throws her arms around your neck. Resist the urge to buy her the world.
- Let her see, by the way you treat your wife, the way a man is supposed to treat a women.
- Make her a Valentine's Day card - every year.
- Never, ever, make fun of her.
- Encourage her to be kind... even to the girl nobody likes.
- Don't tolerate her temper tantrums. Not now. Not when she's 15. Your home will be more peaceful for this.
- Take long walks with her. If you listen, she'll eventually tell you everything that's on her mind.
- Teach her that if she acts stupid to attract boys, she'll attract stupid boys.
- Drag her to church...every week. She may not share your enthusiasm but after 18 years, the message will have sunk in.
- Remember you're her definition of a man. If you drink, smoke, take drugs, chances are the men in her life will too.
- Society is teaching her its values 24/7. You need to be more determined to teach her yours.
- Remember if her home life is crazy, the rest of her life will be too.
- Don't miss a recital, concert, play or any other performance of hers. Not now. Not until she graduates.
- Tell her she is the daughter you always dreamed about.