Friday, May 2, 2008

Meltdown

My son doesn't have meltdowns often, especially in public but he did yesterday. The water was out on the whole island (don't know how that happens) so we went into town and it was lunch time but then I spotted a grand opening at Bealls and thought we'll just run in here. I had something I was looking for but of course I became distracted once I walked in and it took longer than a couple of minutes. The kids found some toys so I told them I would think about it and they have to behave. Needless to say, they didn't. I really put them at a disadvantage taking them in at lunch and before naps but I still had to stand by what I said. About the third time I pull them away from the wind chimes, I declare "That's it! No toys. Let's go" and his crying began. Which is not so funny but what he started to babble was, especially if you've ever seen the stand up comedy of Dane Cook. Dane talks about crying and latching onto a phrase and repeating it over and over. Well, he explained "mommy, I'm having a bad day..." and his catch phrase was "I had bad dreams last night" and the checkout was slow moving so he just stood there babbling hysterically. I of course tried to stay calm and tell him I'm so sorry he had bad dreams but he still can't misbehave. After several minutes, he changes his phrase to "Brinley hits me all the time" and I was nervous someone would think he's being abused so I was quick to say "your LITTLE SISTER does not hit you all the time". (side note: she was amazingly calm during all this.) We finally left after an additional scene of making him relinquish the toy to the cashier and me reminding myself to take deep breathes. It's one of those situations that's much funnier in retrospect.

No comments:

My tunes


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones
Get your own free Blogoversary button!