Saturday, June 7, 2008

Wilson

My husband was watching Castaway last night and my son sat down to join him and we assumed there wasn't any harm in letting him watch since Tom Hanks was on the island and there was very little dialogue. I was not prepared for what happened next. Remember the part where Tom Hanks has made it off the island and he's floating along when Wilson, his volleyball, comes untied and floats away? Well, Tom has to chase Wilson or stay with his raft so although he hates to lose Wilson, he climbs back on the raft then cries himself to sleep. Ben's reaction is what surprised me. He cried - real tears, was distraught and could not understand why he let Wilson (his friend) float away. He has seen lots of movies, even Bambi, and has never cried over them. I tried to let him see Tom get rescued so he would feel better but he even cried again when I was putting him to bed. I finally reassured him that Wilson was happy he could be a companion to Tom while he was on the island and he made new ocean friends. He talked about Wilson more today but at least he wasn't crying. Mommy note: stick to animated movies from now on.

No comments:

My tunes


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones
Get your own free Blogoversary button!